I am delighted and excited to talk to Dr. Doni Wilson today. She is a naturopathic doctor, certified professional midwife, and certified nutrition specialist.
Dr. Doni graduated from Bastyr University in 2000. She believes it is possible to be healthy, even when we are stressed. She helps patients reverse challenging health conditions, including fatigue, anxiety, autoimmunity, fertility, insomnia, as well as HPV, and abnormal pap smears. Dr. Doni is frequently called upon to discuss her approach in the media, as well as at both public and professional events. She writes a blog you can find at DoctorDoni.com, and her podcast is called “How Humans Heal”.
After completing her pre-med degree, Dr. Doni was very interested in nutrition, so she decided to take a nutrition course. She fell so much in love with it that she ended up getting a nutrition degree. Then, a friend told her about naturopathic medical school, which she had never heard of before. There, she was able to study food as medicine. That provided her with a perfect solution because she knew that healing with food and nutrients is possible, and she wanted to be able to support people in that way. Be sure to stay tuned to find out what Dr. Doni has to share about how to stay healthy during times of stress.
“Stress is going to happen, but we need to support our bodies through stress so that we can maintain our health.”
Dr. Doni Wilson
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- Dr. Doni explains what inspired her to choose the natural medicine route, as opposed to a more traditional allopathic medicine route.
- Dr. Doni defines stress.
- Dr. Doni discusses the impact of stress on our bodies and explains how we can mitigate the stress we deal with, acutely versus chronically.
- The stress response is unique to every individual.
- We can help our body and our brain recover from stress.
- Some of the practices that Dr. Doni suggests, for helping her patients get out of fight or flight mode and managing their stress in the long term.
- Do some things in your day to prevent yourself from going full-steam ahead from the time that you get out of bed.
- You will experience many benefits from meditating regularly.
- Dr. Doni has developed an assessment to help people understand their stress type.
- Your stress levels can be measured using your urine or saliva.
- Dr. Doni explains what adaptogens are, and how they can help in managing stress.
- Spending time in nature is very helpful for managing stress levels.
- Dr. Doni explains how circadian rhythms impact our bodies.
- Dr. Doni explains how cortisol affects all the different body systems.
- Dr. Doni discusses what she has learned about HPV, which can also get activated by stress.
- Dr. Doni talks about the HPV vaccine, its efficacy, and the possible side-effects.
- There are ways to protect yourself from the HPV virus, whether or not you get the vaccine.
- Dr. Doni talks about her latest book, Master Your Stress, Reset Your Health, which is coming out soon.
Connect with Doni
On her website
Connect with Cynthia Thurlow
- Follow on Twitter, Instagram & LinkedIn
- Check out Cynthia’s website
- Check Out Dry Farm Wines: www.dryfarmwines.com/cynthiathurlow
About Everyday Wellness Podcast
Welcome to the Everyday Wellness podcast with Cynthia Thurlow! Cynthia is a mom of 2 boys, wife, nurse practitioner, and intermittent fasting and nutrition expert. She has over 20 years experience in emergency medicine and cardiology, but pivoted to focus on food as medicine. She loves to share science-backed practical information to improve your overall well being and is grateful to be interviewing leaders in the health and wellness field. Her goal with Everyday Wellness is to help her listeners make simple changes to their everyday lives that will result in improved overall wellness and long term health.