Hemp Seeds are an amazing little seed… one of the best sources of complete plant based proteins we have available… rich in both Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, in an enviable 3:1 ratio, too! They are also high in GLA (Gamma Linoleic Acid), which is an essential omega 6-fatty acid that our bodies cannot produce on their own. You also find GLA in things like evening primrose oil, borage seed oil and black current seed oil. GLA is directly involved in the reduction of inflammation, which is involved in so many disease states. Unfortunately, many SAD (Standard American Diets) are too high in consumption of sugar, poor quality fats, alcohol and tobacco use that impairs the ability of our bodies to naturally confer the benefits found in hemp seeds and other GLA rich foods.
So, what are some of the other benefits of these seeds?
- Reduction of inflammation as they are involved in prostaglandin synthesis, which helps with smooth muscle relaxation and balancing hormones
- Supports metabolism by acting as an appetite suppressant and helps fuel the burning of brown adipose (fat) tissue in the body
- Supports digestion due to the high fiber content…insoluble fiber helps bulk up stool and supports elimination!
- High in iron, magnesium and vitamin E
- beneficial in many disorders including PMS, obesity, diabetes and even high blood pressure!
What are ways to incorporate hemp seeds into your diet?
- Sprinkle them on top of salads, yogurts, soups…the possibilities are endless
- Toss them into smoothies!
- Hemp milk (although, admittedly, I’ve never tried that…I saw lots of recipes on it), which is a nice alternative to nut or cow’s milk
So, what do you think… will you give them a try? If so, let me know what you think in the comments below! They are super easy to integrate because they have a very mild, almost “nutty” taste!