How I break my fast?
If I had a penny for every time I get asked this question…
In all seriousness, breaking your fast is different for everyone. Don’t overcomplicate things. I am always on the go during the day, so I usually enjoy a shake, leftovers from the night before, or eggs and bacon (a true favorite of mine), as some examples. If I endeavor in an extended fast, I may break my fast with some bone broth or something light, and then enjoy a larger meal a bit later. I always recommend the following mantra, the longer the fast, the smaller the meal.
I’ve outlined a number of days for you so you can see an inside glimpse of how I break my fast over a 7 day period. Take a look and let me know your thoughts.
Broke fast at: 10:00am with a protein shake
- Simply Clean chocolate bone broth protein powder (Use code: SAVE for a discounted price)
- Collagen peptides
- 1 tsp of espresso almond butter from Big Spoon Roasters
- Macros are great, esp with 1-tsp of the almond butter! Yum!
Broke my fast at 11:00am (I last ate dinner the night before at 5:00pm)
- This is a favorite and super easy. Grilled wild shrimp, cauliflower rice and guacamole. This is an easy, flavorful low carb meal and highly satiating.
Broke my fast at 10:00am
- Cumin dusted chicken, broccoli and slaw with a side of dairy free cilantro inspired “pesto.”
After a 17 hour fast I enjoyed this shake:
- Plant based protein
- MCT oil
- peanut butter ( I usually don’t opt for peanut butter, but wanted to change things up today and this is what I grabbed out of the pantry). This type of shake is a great option for all my vegetarian/vegan friends out there. The Four Sigmatic protein powder has a ton of great adaptogens and both powder options add a ton of protein to keep my macros on point.
After a 30 hour fast, I broke my fast with one of my favorites:
- Egg roll in a bowl with sriracha aioli. I enjoyed every single bit of it.
This morning I broke my fast with a steak and brussels sprouts with bacon. This is one of my most favorite ways to break a fast.
Today I broke my fast after a morning at Solid Core. It was a leftover salad from Cava with deviled eggs. The mayo in the egg yolks are made with avocado, since I avoid seed oils.
There you have it! I really try to make a conscious effort to fuel my body with nutritious and wholesome meals. What foods do you break your fast with? Let me know in the comments!